- The pandemic has established a firm hold in our country needs no further elaboration going by the infection rates breaching newer records regularly. Most worryingly, the fatality rate is nowhere near an acceptable number causing grave concerns for the health authorities. There is no reason to compare ourselves with other countries on this count simply because our population density is colossal. The only silver line visible on the horizon is to watch the long-stalled economic activities are showing promising signs of uptick much to the relief of all stakeholders.
PC: Rebecca Cairns
- Also, there are hardly a few states witnessing worrying infection cases requiring attention and a renewed plan of action to combat the menace effectively. By now, it is amply clear that enforcing lockdown is not going to be of any help in curbing the virus. Instead, firmly establishing social distancing norms, properly covering nose and mouth with face mask, frequent handwashing, and general upkeep of personal hygiene should be the sole mantra. Apart from this, nothing else will be effective in so far as keeping the virus at bay is concerned until the desperately sought vaccine eventually emerges much to the relief of entire humankind.
- Unfortunately, vaccine invention is still a few months away at least. So, what does it entail on each of us the citizens in supplementing the efforts of the government authorities to fight the ongoing battle? Foremost among the measures to be adhered to is extremely simple demanding no more than mere compliance in right earnest. However, what is witnessed on the ground is a cavalier approach of people not bothering to follow modest safety and health measures. Increasingly appears that the people have preposterously assumed the virus is behind us and have let go distance maintaining conveniently.
PC: Marija Gligorevic
- Despite concerted exhortations to observe six feet of social distancing, people are congregating in great numbers indulging in exchanges in proximity thereby increasing the risk of virus spread. Most disturbingly, wearing masks also appears to be on the wane what with people showing scant regard for the effectiveness of one potent tool presently available to keep us safe. Though masks are worn by the people, allowing the same to slip on to the chin whilst conversing defeats the very purpose of covering the face.
- The government authorities will do what is expected of them. In the same vein, as responsible citizens, are we contributing our bit in strengthening the efforts of the authorities in subduing the infection? Unfortunately, the answer is no. Humble exhortations to all of us to kindly adhere to prescribed safety measures diligently without letting our guard down is par for the course action and hence, each of us is to ensure tangible applicability as well. Let us walk the talk, please!