- The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) led by the Bharatiya Janata Party successfully fought and won the successive Parliamentary elections by endearing to the electorate by not only promising to usher in fresh impetus in taking the country to never seen before heights in terms of progression but also assuring to take along every other person, irrespective of party affiliation, ideology, and outlook in all its planned endeavor. If Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas was the clarion call during its first term, Sabka Vishwas was subsequently added supplementing the earlier caption during the second term.
- The NDA has lived up to its manifesto assurances during the successive terms so far and many more promising legislations are expected as well. However, the unanticipated pandemic in the form of the COVID-19 virus has severely restricted its policy-planning to usher in much-needed reforms to tide over the economic ascension. The ruling dispensation’s ambitious projection to be counted amongst the most powerful economic giants in the geopolitical scenario appears to have encountered a roadblock as the pandemic’s debilitating effects gnaws at the growth desires.
- Adding to the uncomfortable condition is the steady parting of ways of close and long-time allies owing to regional political compulsions and exigencies compelling precipitative actions. Coming close on the heels of Shiv Sena choosing to go along with sworn foes in forming the alliance government in Maharashtra, the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD,) one of the closest and long-standing allies of the BJP has decided to cut the relationship that stood the test of times for over two decades. Close political observers would also recollect how Nitish Kumar led JD(U) parted ways and came back again into the fold to form the present government in Bihar.
PC: Ajoy Ashirwad Mahaprashasta
- Though the BJP as a party has grown from strength to strength over the years, it cannot possibly rule out the advantages of forging alliances with like-minded entities to further consolidate extremely fluid regional political situation to ensure continuity as also furthering the gains made by painstakingly building a certain standing till now. Neutral parties are supporting the NDA on matters of importance to push ahead with its policies, such parties unfettered support cannot be taken for granted nor assumed unlike from that of alliance partners.
- This is where the BJP should neither feel confident to sail through tricky governance-related circumstances nor espouse complacency much to the detriment of the envisaged plan of action in line with the emerging political scenario wherein, delivering against the distressing economic challenges assumes greater importance. Unilaterally pushing ahead with decisions rather than leaving no stone unturned in eliciting support from the allies and like-minded political parties should be the guiding principles for the BJP. Such a move serves the purpose of long-term survival.