- That the economy would be that severely affected was not known when the first of the successive lockdowns were enforced way back in March. As the nation ground to a standstill, the harshness of the economic inactivity slowly started making its ugly presence on the firmament. Needless to mention, every single sector and industry were singed by the brutal lockdown inflicting more unforeseen damages that the anticipated pandemic could do.
PC: financial Express
- Like other industries, the entertainment industry too was shut rendering the entire gamut of the workforce on the brink of severe crises. Right from the superstars to well-established actors to character actors to people working behind the scene like stuntmen, extra dancers, spot boys, and the ilk were suddenly found to be out of work. After the initial helpings from the philanthropic minded individuals’ and the various affiliated associations, things started going downhill everywhere apparently.
- If financial constraints were one part of the battle being waged by all effected lot, there was another battle going on between the ears in the inner recesses of the mind which is proving to be more complicated, energy-sapping, and deadlier than the physical challenges posed by the situation. Though the various artists & workers associations alongside generous contributions from the big names of the industry would help, the sheer scale of adversarial predicaments could not have been addressed satisfactorily.
- Especially, those artists who might be at the crossroads of professional career-path would find it increasingly challenging to balance out mounting pressure wrought by the domestic and professional compulsions as also living up to the unreasonable expectations they may have been burdened with. No wonder, circumstances prevailing mostly point out at a bleak future and uncertainty only exacerbates the already beaten mind into complete submission.
- Add to the mix the combination of factors that could be at play pulling the already chastened mental resolve even further down. For instance, continued confinement to within the four walls, lack of social interaction of the physical kind, drying up of work owing to the situation at hand, peer pressure, medical/health issues, practical challenges hindering maintaining a certain lifestyle, and mounting expenses without any means of inflow, would have wreaked unimaginable havoc on the system.
- The spate of suicides reported over the past few months, especially from the world of the entertainment industry, brutally exposes the dire challenges confronting the fraternity. If some of the so-called well established and successful actors took refuge to end their agony by choosing to commit suicide, lesser said the better about the not-so-successful and struggling ones. Self-harming is not an option at all.
- Human life is expected to be lived to its fullest enjoying the journey amidst ups and downs as part of the experiences one is subjected to. May be opening with someone close or a confidant or family might be helpful. Sage advice or counseling might do the trick as well. But never give up! Tough times will have to make way for pleasant moments as well. That’s the law of nature. Hold on till then, please!