- There are certain situations and happenstances in life leaving us with more intrigues than answers even though prima facie, it might appear simpler to comprehend, nonetheless eventually turn out nothing less than complicated as one explores further. As life meanders on, we all would have experienced such seemingly captivating occurrences in one or the other forms. Has anybody ever thought with all seriousness why the mere sight of a Policeman never fails to invoke a variety of emotions but none coming anywhere closer to a feeling of assurance? I am sure the scores of people would vouch for the same.
PC: Shweta Bakshi
- As is known, the law enforcing agencies, the police force is an inalienable part of the structure, is a constituted body of persons empowered by the state with the aim to enforce the law, to ensure the safety, health, and possessions of citizens, and to prevent crime and civil disorder. The police’s lawful powers include arrest and the use of force legitimized by the state via the monopoly on violence. The police are primarily responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the maintenance of public order.
- In the context of our country, the police have had a fascinating metamorphosis since the day of independence emerging out of the shadows of British occupation to the present-day modern force keeping in line with the changing times. However, why the police continue to pose a sense of forbidding amongst the majority of people rather than a reassuringly serene disposition capable of soothing the frayed nerves without seemingly exerting pressure or forceful exhibition of authority.
PC: Kevin Helms
- It is not out of place to configure a picture of police in our daily lives that has been so deeply entrenched in our collective psyche about the way law enforcing agencies discharge entrusted duties and responsibilities. An impression is created, it runs deeper than imaginable, that the police force in the country is more amenable to serving their political masters instead of extending all possible help, assistance, and most importantly, depict a real sense of encouragement to people seeking recourse.
- There is no denying the fact about an unholy nexus existing between the political master-police-bureaucrats continuing to be the bane and scourge of corruption with high and mighty having a way around circumventing the law of the land through common man continues to be ill-treated. It is imperative to change this abiding notion of police to position the forces as a convivial group ever willing to come to the aid of people during times of distress. The need of the hour is to undergo image makeover without any further delay.
PC: Bellie Thomas
- The onus squarely rests on the government to usher in reforms in the police forces with great importance attached to making the agency people-friendly, exhorting the imperativeness of embracing neutrality in the rank and file, equipping with adequate fighting tools, technology-driven crime investigation, healthy pay structure, alongside modern training methodologies to position them no less than world-class. Yes, the police should be evoking assuring presence with these measures, eventually.