- Unfortunately or fortunately, the democratic form of governance, unlike autocracies and authoritarian or military regimes, that we Indians are so proud to display also confers free speech as guaranteed by the Constitution allowing citizens’ rights to express an opinion as deemed fit. Thus, it allows people to patronize political parties aiming to solicit support from citizens on the basis of common ideologies, philosophies, belief systems, and built on avowed assurances/promises to usher in welfare/prosperity to the common good of the people are dime a dozen. Few are categorized as national and many as regional parties having carved out a distinct niche.
PC: OLIVIA PEARMAN
- Sadly, we all are well versed in the dubious machinations of the political parties intending to hog the limelight by any means willingly resort to churning out more hot air rather than honestly working at ensuring substantial contributions to the nation-building processes. Politicking under normal circumstances is generally accepted but not when monumental disaster is staring at us. Look no far than the way pandemic has brought forth the duplicity of several parties who unabashedly intend to embrace doublespeak instead of strengthening the efforts of the ruling dispensation by extending supportive hands.
- People would recollect how the leader of the Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh named the indigenously manufactured Covaxin jab as the BJP vaccine by refusing to get inoculated. Now the same leader is questioning the central government about the scarcity in supply of the vaccine berating them for lack of preparedness and foresight in ensuring uninterrupted supply of the shots. How chameleon-like vicissitudes adopted by the leader can be seen through with an intention to play to the gallery. Similarly, the scion of the Grand Old Party was vociferous in denigrating the Union Government for imposing draconian lockdowns relentlessly highlighting the plight of the migrant laborers and the overall negative impact on the economy.
- Name-calling, using below-the-belt language, personal vilifications, and failing to offer constructively concrete countermeasures to address the raging pandemic were adopted as the sole means by the leader. The leader may be afflicted with selective amnesia but the people in the know are not, you see and the bluff will be called sooner than later. The latest originating from the churlish and gibberish stable of irrationality embraced by the man is to ask why the PM is not imposing strict lockdown now in the face of the raging second covid wave. Understandably, targeting the PM assumes greater importance than professing support.
- Leveling the Prime Minister with incessant barbs became such an obsession for the leader that it refuses to die even now. There are any number of dyed in the wool political leaders who wish to fish in the troubled waters but offer little in terms of constructive suggestions to stand shoulder to shoulder with the government. An earnest request to all leaders. Kindly set aside your closed-minded considerations for the general good of the nation facing dire straits. The need of the hour is to present a unified fight to sail through the crisis. Hope these leaders and parties heed the advice. Otherwise, we the people will teach a lesson when it matters.