- The Indian cricket enthusiasts must be wondering what is bothering the talismanic batsman and former captain, Virat Kohli, amid a prolonged slump in his batting form. Over the last decade or so, Kohli has set such high standards while producing consistent results with the bat that string of low scores in the last two years or so must be greatly concerning the pundits and cricket-crazy fans no end. Such has been the lofty standards set by the passionate cricketer that prolonged lack of big runs must be really disconcerting to not only the batsman himself but also to the legions of fans too.
- Cricket fans all over the world are used to watching how Kohli went about scoring tons of runs against all oppositions in such a nonchalant manner that the string of low scores of late is hard to digest. People closely following the master blaster would have noticed how Virat was not at his fluent best even during the last two editions of the T20 Indian Premier League. As statistics suggest, he has been a prolific scorer in the shortest version of the game right from the very inception of the IPL. He has set the IPL stage on fire on more than one occasion and is stating the obvious. However, in the last two editions, Virat has failed to deliver on expected lines largely disappointing the fans expecting more fireworks from the batsman.
- That he gave up captaincy of the Indian Team as well as the franchise hardly helped him in regaining his touch is also quite worrisome. So, what is ailing the remarkable batsman who is cutting a sorry figure one outing after another? Watching Kohli walk back to the pavilion or the dugout after yet another dismal performance on the field with a wry smile has become quite regular of late. His frequent pick-and-choose breaks from a few series on the pretext of load management are hardly helping the cause either. Mind you, if the batsman has to find his mojo back, he has to perform on the field rather than take a break which will do no good.
PC: Mahesh Limbani
- There is simply no replacement for the invaluable match practice that might allow him to strike form. Yes, we all have heard about how the experts and former cricketers bandying about the form being temporary and the class of a player being permanent staff several times. We have also heard about often repeated cliched statements like classy players encountering a terrible slump in the form being just one inning away from regaining the pristine form yet again. Unfortunately, nothing seems to be working for Kohli in the present times. As the background murmuring slowly gains traction leading to shrilled voices already asking questions about his presence on the T20 team, the time apparently is running out for the record-breaking batsman to silence the critics with stellar performances.
- Maybe a complete break from cricket for 2-3 months would help him to reinvent himself. It would also not harm if expert advice is sought from the legendary Sachin Tendulkar as to where and how Kohli is going wrong. Make no mistake, Virat Kohli has still 4-5 years of top-class cricket left in his armoury and there is no reason why he should endure the loss of form for eternity. Roar back champion, we are waiting with patience!