- Few positive overtures were emanating from across the western borders in the last month or so promoting the proponents between the two traditional rival nations viz. India and Pakistan look forward to a concrete positive move. As the keen followers of the international diplomatic scenario would have noticed, the backchannel efforts at initiating peace dialogues between the two nations had reasons to believe a thaw in the relationship is in the offing. Ever since the Indian government abrogated special status accorded to the erstwhile state of Jammu & Kashmir in August 2019, the Pakistan government had cut off every peace process underway back then as also trade and diplomatic relationships.
- That the Pakistani establishment left no stone unturned in trying to attract global attention to reverse the altered situation in J & K by approaching every available platform riling against the Indian move drew little traction is stating the obvious. Having failed in its approach to seek international support and increasing pressure exerted by the domestic compulsions of keeping the issues of Kashmir burning, the Pakistani authorities were left with no option but to choose the time-tested attempts of perpetrating infiltration, terrorist activities, and incessant cross-border firing to further disturb the tranquillity along the international border.
- The Indian side is no longer naïve nor takes things lying down for too long and responded equally forcefully in negating the violations in kind by resorting to more than adequate cross-border retort. In the meanwhile, Indian establishment had to contend with the misadventures and expansionist propaganda of the Chinese on the Eastern borders along the line of actual control (LAC). However, the Indian response subsequently as well as holding onto the potential threat perceptions on both the strategically crucial Western and Eastern borders has been worthy of appreciation signaling the Union Government’s intent in not ceding one bit.
- Probably owing to international pressure as also an increasingly turbulent economic scenario prevalent in the country, the Pakistani government’s peace advances appear to have taken a concrete shape. In a surprising move, the Pakistan side called for a unilateral ceasefire along the borders which was responded to by the Indian side too bringing much-needed respite to the people dotting the vulnerable areas. Exchange of letters by the two Prime Ministers followed suit raising further hopes of breakthrough dialogues after a long lull.
- The Pakistan government also announced importing sugar and cotton from India sending hopes of revival of peace talks soaring. As it has happened in the past, there came a swift reversal of the import decision ostensibly upon rejection by the Cabinet. This sudden U-turn defines the uncertainty of the regime thereby cautioning us yet again of the futility to take any peace moves at face value. Past experiences establish the fact that any peace propositions from across the border are imminently followed by terrorist attacks. The trust deficit is apparent and the Indian Government will know it fully to not bite the bullet.