- The word dieting is spoken with commonality during our conversations with family, relatives, friends, acquaintances, colleagues, and even with unknown strangers when compelled to strike a small talk courtesy circumstances/situation. For the uninitiated, dieting is the practice of eating food in a regulated way to decrease, maintain, or increase body weight, or to prevent and treat diseases such as diabetes and obesity. Usually, dieting to lose weight is recommended for people with weight-related health problems.
- As weight loss or gain primarily depends on calorie intake, different kinds of calorie-reduced diets, such as those emphasizing macronutrients, have shown us to be no more effective than one another. As the human body’s constitution is programmed to regain the weight as a common phenomenon, the success of a diet is best predicted by long-term adherence to the cultivated habit. Mostly popular amongst the urban and semi-urban populace dotting the modern milieu, dieting as an industry is gaining strength.
- Many of us are familiar with some of the popular dietary practices viz. Atkins diet, the Zone diet, ketogenic diet, vegetarian diet, vegan diet, weight watchers diet, raw food diet, just to name a few amongst the many. Several more are surely in the pipeline to emerge in the coming days. Ever wondered why so much fuss created around dietary intake that nourishes and sustains life perpetually. Come to think of it, you do not have to find a dietician or a nutritionist as every other person is an expert on the matter.
- Most interestingly, each of those experts has ready answers to substantiate his/her preferred diet as the gold standard and hence, would not hesitate to deride other dietary preferences followed by someone else. Passionate discussions on the advantages and disadvantages of observing a diet ensue naturally leading to threadbare dissection. Individuals who are yet to get sucked into the dietary conundrum are bound to feel out of place. Many would vouch on this aspect for sure.
- As we are all aware, there exists certain paraphernalia associated with a balanced diet comprising carbohydrates, protein, fat, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and water that transforms food consumed into energy. Each of the calorie intakes associated with the food components in the right and desired manner defines how healthy or unhealthy we would be. Many families would have had arguments, sometimes heated, as regards to following certain eating habits in conformity with the perceived dietary preferences.
- Moot point to ponder over here is whether these diet fads if I’m allowed to use the term, is warranted, or is it just an overhyped trend gaining prominence by the day. I suggest a simple alternative to the dietary preferences that has stood many generations in good stead since times immemorial. I would rather follow what my grandparents and parents relished whilst living a long and contended life during their eventful journey. They ate everything but in moderation following healthy cooking practices.
- Therefore, my humble submission is to relish whatever food is cooked hygienically, organically, and naturally, wherever possible, without overindulging or binge eating beyond certain means. Yes, do study, understand, and trust your metabolism to strike a balance that always serves us in good measure. Don’t deprive yourself for the sake of appeasing. Go ahead, indulge yourself, and remember moderation is the mantra!