- Lifestyle changes adopted by the humankind keeping in line with the fast-evolving times has ushered in more challenges and hardships rather than facilitate smooth living standards many of us envisaged and hoped for. Any number of technological innovations, developments, advancements, gadgetry introductions, and implementations have made the standard of living more alluring and orienting towards material gratifications making life considerably easier without breaking much of a sweat.
- A fast-paced living standard easily identifiable with the urbanites and semi-urbanites who believe merely establishing residence in a metropolitan landscape and soaking in the so-called modern-day amenities is the easiest way to accomplishing salvation. Far from it, I would say as the intangible losses accrued far outstrips the gains forthcoming simply because, in the vain guise of searching that elusive happiness and contentment, the real meaning of gainful existence is completely lost.
- And at what cost is the pertinent question requiring further deliberations. Look at the situation we urbanites find ourselves in. Time starved professional(s) virtually living out of suitcases, running helter-skelter in pursuit of meeting unrealistic deadlines, compromising on the familial harmony, spending little quality time with those near and dear ones who matter the most in our lives, unduly burdening self with work pressure that unwittingly converges deep into our well-being, and allowing extraneous factors shape persona instead of a logical/natural course of action.
- The biggest fallout of this vicious cycle of running behind the illusionary but greedy acquisitions in the name of modernization is ‘health’. Morbidities are increasing at an extremely young age, irrespective of genders, and have been fittingly termed as lifestyle diseases. Diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, hair loss, lack of appetite, binge eating, weight gain/loss, premature aging/balding, loss of virility, low sperm/egg count, erectile dysfunction, infertility, etc. are some of the most often heard of challenges encountered in varying degrees by the present generation.
- Except for hereditary/genetic makeup, many of the abovementioned illnesses could be easily kept at bay by opting to indulge ourselves in some of the other forms of physical activities. It could be simple walking, jogging, running, cycling, climbing stairs, lifting weights, gardening, farming, yoga, or any related activities involving physical exertion that allows the body to perspire. A minimum of half-an-hour to any duration the situation allows us to indulge in physical exertion should be followed assiduously.
- No amount of running behind the indefinable mirage of wealth could replace the inevitability of possessing sound health that forms the fulcrum of what we are. I passionately urge everybody out there to punish the body with exertion for an hour at least and not less than five days a week, and no compromises or excuses please. Physical exercise in combination with a healthy diet – do not look far than our grandparents/parents and their dietary habits – should be the guiding light for us.
- A big no to farcical and fads out there that promises sound health & weight loss without exercising. Do not ever fall for it. There is no quick-fix solution for gaining health organically and exercising alone facilitates the same. Take a pledge and resolutely follow it! Simple!