- The blockbuster success of Bobby propelled Rishi Kapoor to compete for a space that was adorned by the indisputable original superstar of Hindi romantic cinema, Rajesh Khanna. By his unique mannerisms, delivery styles and charisma, Rajesh Khanna was still ruling the roost albeit on a wane owing to the law of averages. Freshly minted chocolate hero with a boyish appeal, natural screen presence and spring in the steps hugely helped in shaping Rishi’s onscreen persona as a quintessential romantic star regaling then youth with innocent candor.
PC: the federal
- What started as a promising film career never looked back scaling to stratospheric heights in popularity, stardom and adulation in many a romantic / love stories of different shades and multi-starrer potboilers thereby establishing Rishi as an exceptional exponent of glamour world. Peppered with immortal chartbuster music tracks usually composed by indomitable Laxmikant-Pyarelal duo and the most revered respectively were constant accompaniments of Rishi’s movies which still stirs / tugs at hearts through memorable numbers. There are countless songs that are still popular across generations.
PC: Subhash K. Jha
- After Bobby, Khel Khel Mein, Laila Manu, Kabhie Kabhie, Hum Kisise Kum Nahin, Amar Akbar Anthony, Sargam, Karz, Naseeb, Prem Rog, Saagar, Nagina, Chandni, Henna, Bol Radha Bol, Deewana, Damini and slew of other romantic potboilers interspersed with multi-starrers firmly established Rishi Kapoor as a romantic star as also an extremely bankable actor. He could succeed in carving out a distinct niche amidst competitive and equally popular/blessed peers of his time speaks volumes about mastery over his craft.
- It would be pertinent to note that Hindi filmdom’s most loved and adored superstar Amitabh Bachchan’s career-altering Zanzeer released in the same year as Bobby. Entry of angry young man persona portraying angst against the system placed Amitabh in hitherto unscaled heights of stardom. Add to the mix equally talented and established heroes of the time like Rajesh Khanna, Manoj Kumar, Jeetendra, Vinod Khanna, Shatrughan Sinha, Rakesh Roshan and several other acknowledged personalities, one would gauge the prowess of Rishi’s sustenance with admiration.
- Unlike his other distinguished peers, Rishi did not flinch in being a part of powerfully written heroine oriented films too viz. Prem Rog, Nagina, Henna, Chandni and Damini just to name a few. Agreed, in the beginning Rishi had a great platform to kick-start dream run in the industry nonetheless he was on his own after the huge success of Bobby that continued unabated for almost four decades. How Rishi transformed into performing characters roles shall be explored in the subsequent part.
Watch his iconic performance from Chandini movie
- To be continued…………..