- Bollywood actor Irrfan Khan’s passing away abruptly aged just 53 years will leave a huge void in not only Indian film industry but also international mainstream cinema too. It was known that Irrfan was afflicted with a malignant neuroendocrine tumor, form of Colon cancer, since 2018 and was bravely battling it out. Reports emerged that he was admitted in ICU couple of days back. However, his bravery, resilience and fighting attributes could carry him thus far and breathed his last yesterday. He is survived by his wife and two sons.
- An alumnus of National School of Drama, a National Film Award winner, recipient of Padma Shri as also four time winner of Filmfare Awards are some of the acclaims adorning the actor. Irrfan was one of the finest actors of this era and with a caliber rarely matched for sheer versatility. An extremely unconventional, unorthodox, far from typical Bollywood-fare hero, quintessential underperformer but with an extraordinary ability to get into the skin of the character are some of the encomiums that could be fitting aptly in defining the actor.
PC: Taipei times
- Effortlessness and seamlessness with which he essayed path-breaking characters on screen in his own inimitable style sets apart Irrfan from amongst other performers and peers hands down. Ease with which he portrayed characters in his distinguishing understated and nonchalant ways conveying varied emotions through those big deep eyes standing on lean, gangly frame leaves behind indelible impressions. Starting out humbly from then-nascent Television medium to slowly graduating into mainstream cinema, Irrfan carved out a definite niche for himself is stating the obvious and needs no seconding the wholesome acceptance.
PC: Sampada Sharma
- An indication of Irrfan’s yet untapped tremendous acting performances could be seen in films like Maqbool – an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Macbeth – The Namesake, Life in a Metro amongst many. His international successes in cinemas vis. Slumdog Millionaire, Acid Factory, The Amazing Spiderman, Life of Pi were well appreciated establishing him as a global actor. No over the top characterization or cringe-worthy make believe world of cinema could be identified with the consummate actor in his wide range of oeuvre. Slice of life were his forte.
- Paan Singh Tomar fetched Irrfan a National Award and followed by outstanding performances in Haider, Piku, Talvar, Madaari, The Lunchbox, Hindi Medium and Qarib Qarib Single which were either critically acclaimed and/or box-office hits. His last outing was Angrezi Medium which unfortunately got affected because of pandemic induced lockdown. Had so much left to offer but sadly departed at his peak. Great loss indeed. May his soul rest in eternal peace.
Watch his Wonderful Performance in this beauftiful song from one of his flim Peeku