- As if the ravaging destructions of the pandemic on the physical and mental well-being of the population is not enough enduring the turmoil for more than a year now and unaware as to when the tribulations will eventually seize, there is an unnecessary controversy brewing about the efficacy or lack of it by comparing one form of medicine with another. Yes, I am referring to the raging debate underway hitting the news headlines over the past few days concerning Allopathic medicine versus ancient Ayurveda treatments. Everybody in their right senses would not mince words whilst sharing views about how ill-timed and ill-advised this argument is when the pandemic’s second wave is wreaking havoc on the country.
PC: Swamy Ramdev
- The matter has reached such a stage wherein the swords are drawn out by both sides viz. the Indian Medical Association (IMA) and the Patanjali Ayurved Group headed by the renowned Yoga Guru. The pitched battle being fought over the print and electronic media comes at the most inopportune time where collective efforts from different quarters should be the mode of tackling the ravaging pandemic having a field day vanquishing several thousand precious lives on its trail. The only silver line visible to the harangued population is the availability of vaccines that is proving to be an elixir of life providing a protective shield from the virus’s severity. During such challenging times, each one of us is expected to behave responsibly.
- It is proved beyond doubt that Allopathic medicine has positioned itself in the forefront over the decades through sustained inventions, advancements, developments, and newer breakthroughs on the back of scientific and evidence-based medicines. Modern medical wonders have come has a big boon to humanity as it enables battling out against many forms of debilitating health issues. Supplementing the efforts of the modern and advanced medical fraternity is the humongous advancements witnessed in the field of pharmaceutical inventions essaying a big enabling role for the industry. Allopathic medicine has carved out an inalienable niche is stating the obvious.
PC: Heather McKenzie
- The medical fraternity’s defining role and contributions during the pandemic cannot be described in mere few words as the sacrifices, yeomen services rendered, and working beyond the call of duty has ensured the loss of precious lives is much lower. It sends a shudder down the spine wondering what could be the situation if the medical fraternity were found wanting on effectively handling the menace of the virus. Unimaginable destruction on humanity would have ensued. Of course, alternative medicines in the form of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddi, Sowa Rigpa, and Homoeopathy have a complementary role to play but not a defining part as is being claimed by the Yoga Guru by any stretch of the imagination.
- The vaccine development in such a short time is nothing short of a medical miracle that is being rightly touted as the universal shield to protect from the severity of the SARS-Cov-2 virus. Apart from those approved vaccine candidates widely in circulation, there is no other equally potent ammunition available from any of the alternative modes of medicine for use against developing tangible protection against the virus. Therefore, it makes imminent sense for the votaries of alternative medicines to complement modern allopathic medicine by joining hands in showing collective efforts. Denigrating the loss of lives by holding Allopathic medicine responsible is totally uncalled for.