- The Indian film industry, either the predominantly eyeball grabbing Bollywood or equally popular regional entities but lacking pan-India appeal, has always had one thing in common i.e. music forming an integral part of the narration, plot and of course, many a time decisively presenting unforeseen/unexpected twists and turns. Indian audience is perfunctorily expecting the music to essay an inalienable part of the movie viewing experience and hence, would not spend hard-earned money on a movie without music.
- Thus, the film musical sojourn in our entertainment industry since the beginning has carved out a special niche that cannot be either taken out of the equation or relegated to essaying lesser importance in the overall scheme of movie-making. No wonder, the Indian film music industry is thriving, much sought after, and irreplaceable. As much as a movie director, hero, heroine, character actors are indispensable for the complete production activity, the music director also enjoys the same relevance and standing.
- By now, it is amply clear demonstrating the significance music holds in the collective conscience of entertainment seekers. As such, as the Indian cinema started evolving, contributions of renowned music composing luminaries in the field of Hindi film music starting from – not in any particular order, merit, oeuvre or popularity – C Ramachandra, Madan Mohan, Shankar-Jaikishen duo, SD Burman, OP Nayyar, Naushad, Khayyam, Laxmikant-Pyarelal duo, RD Burman, Kalyanji-Anandji duo, Rajesh Roshan, Ilayaraja, Anu Malik, AR Rahman, Shankar-Ehsan-Loy, Vishal-Shekhar duo, Anand-Milind, Jatin-Lalit duo, are not only stupendous but enchanting as well.
- Galaxy of music composers mentioned above have produced some of the most lilting, melodious, mellifluous, soothing, scintillating, drool-worthy, mesmerizing, captivating, and the adjectives will keep mounting whilst describing the everlasting compositions of the masters leaving anyone with an ear for music spellbound and craving for more. Each one of the maestros mentioned is supremely talented and gifted having belted out umpteen number of chart-busting musical songs that continue to reverberate even now.
- Of course, the soul of any music composed is not complete without acknowledging the contributions of lyricists who are masters in their ways superlatively adept at infusing throbbing life into meaningful words that transform the very experience of listening to soul searching compositions. It is inconceivable to render any compositions in its truest form without stating eloquently about the singers who contribute in transcending the words written, music composed into the final product by pouring eternal and soulful vocals. Long live the tribe of Hindi film music! Feel indebted indeed!
PC: learn how to write songs
- No wonder, Indian film buffs will never feel short-shrift or be denied their rightful expectations to entertain so long as the music churning continues dishing out one hit number after another.