- People with a keen eye and desirous of keeping informed as to what is happening around them would not miss an increasing media hogging news headlines hitting the State of Karnataka over the last few months. While the year 2020 was all about the pandemic which rightfully took the pole position in disseminating the information associated with the dreaded virus, there are few interesting news bits in the form of more politically oriented agitations. Yes, I am referring to clamoring from different communities seeking reservations in the government jobs and education under various categories. And there seems to be many vying for the honey.
- Leading the agitations seeking reservations is none other than community seers representing various sects and of course, the ubiquitous political leaders who are ever eager to jump on to the bandwagon when a whiff of scent exists to score brownie points vis-à-vis furthering individual interests. It does not matter whether it is the ruling party political stalwarts or opposition honchos, an opportunity to make themselves visible along the sensitive issue overrides everything else. We all know, any small window enabling to consolidate vote banks will be gleefully embraced by the shrewd politicians everywhere and the same modus operandi is glaringly being adopted in Karnataka too.
- Post-Independence India has witnessed humongous developments in all spheres of life positioning against the best in the business. The country also promises to be counted amongst the most developed countries soon owing to its sheer demographic size of the market offering opportunities galore to all those entrepreneurs and business-oriented houses/corporates/organizations who wish to succeed in their chosen endeavors. Alongside impressive developments on the measuring index, what has also taken a definitive shape deeply rooted in our daily existence is the bane of reservation that naturally should have paved way for meritocracy by now. Contrarily, the issue gets propped up unfailingly.
- Look not far, there are irresponsible and myopic leaders who tend to view the reservations as an instrument to dangle at unsuspecting citizens who tend to easily be swayed by the lure of easy access to safety and security of government jobs and education. Thus, reservations continue to attract traction amongst the most gullible in the present day speaks volumes about skewed priorities not losing out in the face of advancements. So long as unscrupulous political leaders do not shy away from furthering the counter-productive outcome of reservations persists, there can be no respite from the social imbalance that keeps increasing the chasm in the society.
- Therefore, it is not surprising to observe many political leaders of Karnataka pushing ahead with reservations for the communities they represent without bothering to foresee the inherent harm the matter does to the overall health of the society’s harmonious fabric. Indeed, a sad commentary that never fails to repeat itself while we harp on the developments and advancements riding on the dynamic technologies to facilitate pleasant-sounding living. Can there be a paradigm shift in the approach? Does not look so!