- It appears amply clear that the gods up above have taken a personal liking to the Bollywood personalities who were known for their tremendous oeuvre of works. Undoubtedly, footprints of their works have left behind indelible impressions on the present as well as future generations of admirers. In the past few months, many celebrities have passed on to the other world creating a gaping hole in the entertainment industry which will be extremely difficult to fill anytime sooner.
pc: report door
- Coming close on the heels of star performers like Irfan Khan, Rishi Kapoor, Wajid Khan, Basu Chatterjee, Sushant Singh Rajput passing away owing to various reasons from illness, old age to suicide, ace dance master Saroj Khan follows her esteemed colleagues to the world beyond. Saroj Khan, who was admitted to a hospital in Mumbai after she complained of breathing difficulties on 20th June, passed away early today following a cardiac arrest leaving behind three children.
- In a career spanning over four decades, Saroj choreographed over 2000 songs and many of those were chartbusters enabling the actors/actresses to perform on the screen to establish their credentials beyond doubts. Especially, artists in the 1980s, 90s, and 2000s owe their charismatic presence, fan following, adulation and firm establishment in the Bollywood film firmament in no small measures to Saroj Khan choreographed moves.
- Seamlessly blending typical Hindi film moves with western dance forms alongside quintessential sensuous style so uniquely perfected by the dance master were portrayed on the silver screen by some of the biggest divas of the industry. You name the artists, Saroj Khan has choreographed for them. She could carve out a niche for herself through grit and determination in a male-dominated and misogynist industry is no mean achievement.
- Superstar artists like Sridevi, Anil Kapoor, Govinda, the Khans, Hrithik Roshan, Madhuri Dixit, Meenakshi Sheshadri, Juhi Chawla, Raveena Tandon, Karishma & Kareena Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai, Kajol, Shilpa Shetty, and Kangana Ranaut just to name a few have danced to her choreographed moves with abandon gay. Dance moves set to some chart-busting numbers added on to the overall charisma of the superstars is stating the obvious.
- Saroj was catapulted to the big league with some of the all-time Hindi film chartbusters like Main Nagin Tu Sapera (Nagin), Hawaa Hawaai (Mr. India) both starring supremely gifted dancer Sridevi. Ek do teen (Tezaab), Dhak Dhak Karne Laga (Beta) starring another of the gifted and natural dancer Madhuri Dixit continues to be equally popular after all these years propelling the master to a different league altogether. Taal Se Taal Mila (Taal) starring Aishwarya Rai too had a typical sensuous touch of the master.
PC: on manorama
- Saroj Khan has to her credit three National Awards for choreographing Dola Re Dola (Madhuri Dixit & Aishwarya Rai in Devdas), Srirangam (all songs, Tamil Film) and Yeh Ishq Haaye (Shahid Kapur and Kareena Kapoor), respectively. Extremely jovial and affable lady, the world of film choreographers will surely miss her imposing presence for she was no less than an institution in herself. Thank you very much for entertaining us, Saroj Khan! May your soul rest in eternal peace!