- The signs emerging over the past few weeks portends ominous troubles for the country’s fight against the pandemic which appears to be more resilient and combative than all our concerted efforts aimed at taming the virulent virus from spreading yet again. The speed with which the new variants, mutations, and newer strains are emerging amply demonstrates the coronavirus is not going to be vanquished anytime sooner even after the invention of several vaccines to shield humanity from the dreaded menace. It is extremely distressing and excruciating to consider how every attempt at bettering the virus is being met with stiff resistance along the way.
PC: MANOJIT SAHA
- The entire universe is under severe stress owing to the debilitating effects of the virus will be an understatement as the measures initiated to handle the global crisis like strict lockdowns, curfews, restricted economic activities, and restrictions on movements of personnel as well as goods have placed unquantifiable duress on every country’s economy. Unfortunately, when it appears the spread of the virus is contained to a certain extent, comes the news about the emergence of a new variant making its unwelcome presence all over again. Many of the European and Western countries are in the grip of fresh waves forcing them to revert to blunt measures once more.
- The Indian Government alongside health authorities of every state did a commendable job in restricting the spread as well as fatality rate as compared to other countries. However, we countrymen are always fond of flouting strictures, rules, regulations, and guidelines in the absence of strong deterrence. Failing to follow safety and health guidelines vis-à-vis Covid-19 is no exception as the people went about defying the sacrosanct measures with impunity. Consequently, the country finds itself staring at an unfortunate situation now as the second covid wave is making its presence felt loud and clear.
PC: STUART KIDD
- Trust our countrymen to also not take a back seat in celebrating a slew of festivals with uninhibited revelry and gaiety despite the fear of covid striking with vengeance. Lack of civic responsibility in failing to adhere wearing of personal masks, no social distancing, and general apathy towards following covid appropriate behavior has resulted in the renewed surge. Add to the mix the avoidable gatherings of masses on the back of assembly elections are a sure shot recipe for disaster which is unfolding across the country in the form of an alarming rise in confirmed infection rates. Also, the vaccination drive is still to pick up the pace to cover the humongous population yet.
- Each one of us, right from the Government to health authorities to the common man, is expected to exercise utmost precautions in our conduct as well as observance of health guidelines to tide over the virus calamity. It is inevitable for those having received the jab to also observe covid appropriate behavior as chances of contracting the infection are not ruled out. The country cannot afford to shut its economic activity anymore and the only known way to emerge less scathed is to follow time-tested guidelines. Failing which, catastrophe will befall upon us.