- At the start of the year, majority of the humankind would never have nursed the idea about the novel coronavirus leaving behind a trail of unimaginable scale of destruction not only on the economic front but also irreparably damaging the collective psychology of the humankind. Half-a-year later, the pandemic virus continues its debilitating march uninterrupted rendering the human resolve undergo extremely testing times repeatedly. No human element is left untouched by the marauding menace is stating the obvious requiring no further assertion.
- Yearning for succor and relief from the battering is palpable all around. As the virus keeps mutating and strengthening by spreading its dreaded tentacles, earnest efforts to counter were initiated immediately. The statistics collected from severely affected countries establish the virus’s multi-layered abilities to sustain under diverse climatic conditions. Thus, inventing an effective vaccine took utmost precedence amongst the majority of developed countries as also developing countries and the race began to save humanity from the most challenging situation encountered in a very long time.
- The entire humanity is on survival mode aptly defines the present condition threadbare. As expected, the USA, UK, China, and a few European countries as also India are already at the forefront of developing a vaccine that is in various stages of trials. Emerging reports from different corners of the world encouragingly suggest that clinical trials undertaken earlier have started yielding promising results. Prominent among them is the UK and the USA who might as well beat the rest in the race to announce the much-awaited invention in the near future.
- The world is waiting with bated breath for sure. India too under the aegis of ICMR (Indian Council for Medical Research) has started clinical trials following the globally accepted norms to fast track the vaccine development and appears to be on the right path. Word of caution is not out of place to advocate observing prudency Vis-a-Vis safety precautions and exercising necessary scientifically approved clinical protocols before announcing to the world about the invention. Enthusiasm and excitement is welcome but not safety mandates.
- Mind you, assiduous adherence to international health and safety standards is non-negotiable demanding mandatory passage through all regulations as millions of lives are at stake. Indications are that the vaccine might be ready for administering by the end of the year or early next year. Reports also suggest that administering 2 to 3 doses of vaccination is essential to effectively nullify the vaccine including the booster dose. Let’s all fervently hope and pray the vaccine will become reality sooner than later. An entire generation is at stake here.