- At the outset, I wish to make it amply clear that conducting online classes for the teaching fraternity is not as easy as it appears for the uninitiated who might be prejudiced in their comprehension of the methodology. In line with the guidelines issued by the authorities concerned – both at the Centre and the State Education Department – online teaching is adopted by the Schools in the interim as the physical opening of the academic sessions seem distant in the prevailing situation.
- As we all are aware, there was opposition from a group of parents objecting to and questioning the scientific rationale in undertaking the exercise much against their wishes. Apprehensions were raised too whether the continuous online teaching would be beneficial for the overall well-being of the children exposed to considerable screen time. Such an argument put-forth hardly merits due consideration as the children are incessantly exposed to television and other electronic gadgets rather indiscriminately.
- Imparting education and seeking knowledge inter alia is not only essential in the larger interest of the student community but also portends tremendous responsibility in readying the next generation torchbearers for the country’s uninterrupted growth. With this noble intention in mind, the school authorities undertook exceptional challenges in not only overcoming the technological short fallings but also primed the entire teaching fraternity to embrace the methodology for the students’ benefit.
PC: greaterlondon Properties
- Of course, there were scores of nay-sayers who were not loath to cast aspersions on the School authorities’ intentions by indulging in name-calling. Right from terming the School Management as greedy, insensitive, unrealistic, and failing to accommodate legitimate concerns are some of the often-heard monikers. As the matter came for adjudication in the Courts and subsequent directions facilitating online teaching endeavors were passed with binding guidelines, the Schools could finally proceed further on the matter albeit gingerly.
- As everything appeared set to sail smoothly, reports are emerging about some parents’ bullying efforts by intruding in the middle of virtual sessions. Castigating the teachers for not being effective as also disturbing them by incessantly raising uncalled-for questioning is on the rise. Parent interrupting in the middle of a session to criticize severely undermines the authority of a teacher which is a cornerstone for maintaining discipline in a class. Such disruptions pause the flow and deprive others of quality learning.
- Veneration towards teachers is paramount for maintaining authority in a class. And parents’ in their wisdom assume that imparting knowledge is a ‘paid service’ and hence, enforce unrequited demand on the schools to serve them unconditionally. A humble request to parents to allow teachers to do what they are good at. Unsolicited interference will harm the students from pursuing learning in these difficult times as imparting online teaching is a better option rather than no learning at all.