How can we reverse Global warming
Global warming is the term used to describe a gradual increase in the average temperature of earth’s atmosphere and its oceans, a change that is believed to be permanently change Earth’s climate. A major cause of global warming is the attitude of mankind to Nature. How can a single person change this ? Can one person in seven billion make a difference?
- Scientists say humanity could limit the effects if each person used less power a year. The average American consumes 12000 watts(heighest), a Bangladeshi uses 300, Indians are somewhere in between. How do we consume less power : Open your windows to get natural air & light. Using solar lights, solar water heaters goes a long way.
- The release of carbon dioxide contributes majorly to global warming. People in big cities contribute upto10000 pounds of CO2 per person every year. We can help becoming more energy efficient, by car pooling, using more of public transport . Using cycle and walking instead of using your bike to a grocery store also helps a lot.
- Use CFL bulbs, which will last much longer. LED bulbs are also energy saving but have a narrow range of application.
- Buy energy efficient appliances and fuel-efficient cars. Be it a refrigerator or an Air-conditioner, select the one with hieghest energy efficiency rating. If you buy a new car that gives extra miles, you can contribute to reduced release of carbon dioxide.
- Recycle whenever possible: Aluminium cans, newspapers, cardboards, glass-anything recycled reduces the energy needed to create new products. Think about it!
- Recharge your batteries: Buy rechargeable batteries, it may cost more but they can be recharged inexpensively many times and can be stored for long time. Imagine huge pile of batteries you are going to reduce!
- Plant a sapling every month: Make it a point to plant a sapling or seeds in your garden with your kids every month. It is so much fun and you are contributing to greener environment.
- Encourage kids to play outdoors instead of spending hours plugged into media devices.
Let us contribute our bit to the environment and make the world a better place to live for our future generation.