Banaras which is popularly known as Varanasi and Kashi, is the “City of Temple” and also considered the “Religious Capital of India”. Attracting thousands of pilgrims each and every year and also people from across the globe who are fascinated about religion and the cultural heritage of India. There are countless number of temples, Ghats and universities which are the major attraction of this city for the curious travellers.
Here are 10 interesting fact about Banaras that you should know:
1. It is believed that if a person breathes his last breath in this city he/she will surely attain salvation. This belief prevails as this city is believed to be the oldest living city in the entire world, and according to legend this holy city is house of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
2. Countless numbers of temples in this holy city are devoted to two forms of Hinduism which co-exist in harmony, the Shaivism and Vaishnavism. Also as it is the birth place of the twenty third Tirthankara, Parsvanath, it is an important centre of the Jain religion.
3. Apart from being a religious city, Banaras is major centre of learning and culture. The largest university in Asia, The Banaras Hindu University is also a part of this city.
4. Banaras is additionally associated with the source of the ancient holistic healing sciences of Ayurveda and Yoga. Maharishi Patanjali the founder of these sciences, has very strong connections with the city of Banaras.
5. Apart from being famous across the world for its religious and cultural significance, Banaras is also recognized as a centre of trade and commerce since ancient times, where dealing in commodities like silver and gold brocades are widely popular.
6. Banaras is home to numerous literary geniuses such as Munshi Prem Chand and Tulsi Das, who captured down the great epic Ram Charit Manas.
7. Banaras is the birth place of renowned artists, musicians & dancers, which includes the much-admired sitar player, Ravi Shankar and the shehnai maestro Ustad Bismillah Khan.
8. Banaras is the live symbol of the Hindu renaissance, homing culture, knowledge, devotion, art and philosophy.
9. Popular shooting location for countless films, both from India and across the world, in addition also a perfect shoot location for television serial and travel shows.
10. Frog Marriage , which is a very strange and unbelievable custom practiced in the city .Carried out at the Ashwamedh Ghat during the rainy season, where priest performs the ritual of wedding a couple of frogs post which they are then left free into the river.
All these interesting facts about the city are responsible for the growing attraction value of the city for Indian and across the globe travellers.